Tuesday, 1 January 2013
Inspirational Blog Awards
I would like to thank Julie Phillips for this inspiring award. What a lovely way to start the new year.
So now to follow the tradition I will give you seven facts as to why I started to write.
1. My mother is also a writer and she had a huge old typewriter when I was a child. I wanted to learn to type so I started out by making up little stories and typing them out.
2. In my school holidays I worked through some exercises that Mom had for a journalism course. I loved the challenge of each assignment and learning new techniques.
3. When I was 14, I was lucky to buy my beautiful horse Chad who is still with me today. He inspired me to write about horses. I passed my stable management course and loved jotting down factual things and stories about horses. My first publication was in Horse and Pony magazine. I had a letter published and this encouraged me to write more.
4. I also had a fascination about ghosts. I loved writing ghost stories and completed a small handwritten book full of my own work.
5.In the early 1980's my Mom was getting regular articles published. She was part of the very early Wrekin Writers and I got very interested in what she was doing.
6. In 1999 I joined Wrekin Writers. I entered a poem in the members only competition and I got a commended . This really inspired me and I have been a member ever since. Being part of the group has been so wonderful and I got encouragement from fellow members and bloggers. I started writing articles and short stories and was published in several magazines and then I was introduced to the world of blogging which has been a great experience in writing something on a regular basis.
7. In March 2007 my book 'One Hundred Ways For A Chicken To Train Its Human' was published by Hodder and Stoughton. I have to thank Simon Whaley - author of One Hundred Ways For A Dog To Train Its Human' plus many other books. He suggested that I try writing the chicken one which is what I did and I am thrilled to say it is still selling today. This gave me confidence to try other things and now I have self published my first novel on Kindle.
So there you have it. I have loved writing from an early age and been inspired in many ways by many people and many animals.
I shall now pass this award on to three more fellow bloggers who are all very different but very inspiring and entertaining. Mermaids drown, Much Malarky Manor and klahanie.