Wednesday 14 September 2011

Inspired landscapes - and the people of it

I have just been on a short break to New Quay in Wales, and returned home feeling like I am bursting with inspiration to write. It always seems to be places that inspire me to think up new ideas and this brief visit to one of the most beautiful and natural areas did the trick for me.

Above is the Black Lion - one of the favourite places that the famous writer - Dylan Thomas would frequent.



It soon became my favourite watering hole too, with stunning views across the bay, a peaceful place to sit and enjoy a drink and interesting features showing Thomas's connection with the area.




The Dolau Inn was equally inspiring and inside had many photographs of the writer. It was amazing to find that in the middle of the week it was so sleepy and quiet. I loved watching people, mostly locals come and go as they walked up the road past the Inn with the sound of the sea behind them.














The whole area of New Quay is dotted with connections of the Writer. This sign was right outside a white bungalow named Majoda. It's part of the trail which passes through many of the areas that Dylan lived and wrote. It may not be the original 'Majoda' but it is the site where Dylan was thought to have written part of the play 'Under Milk Wood' which was set around the area of New Quay.







Extract from 'Under Milk Wood'




It is Spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.






Shocking photograph, I just couln't get the focus but it was so atmospheric staring out of the window from the Hotel Penwig where we were stopping. This view mesmerized me and I couldn't stop thinking of this particular part of Under Milk Wood.







But in the morning, this was my view. I watched the sunrise over the bay, walked on the beach in the rain and came back to the Hotel Penwig to sit at my temporary writing desk.




It was one of those places and one of those times to put pen to paper and write something!








So I did! I scribbled ideas while I stared out of the window to that view.




I am now back home and working on two short stories, three articles, and scribbling ideas for the future, still being inspired by the landscape and the people of it.















2 comments:

  1. Ah Dylan Thomas's watering hole.
    I suspect you sampled a few pints of the local brew while you were there.
    I love Under Milk Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lizzie, yes indeed, I could easily stayed there for hours supping and discussing Under Milk Wood! Magical!

    ReplyDelete