Monday 7 May 2012

Writing a sequel


I have considered writing a sequel to my novel Red Kite for a while but it was only the other day that I gained inspiration from the landscape and started penning a few ideas for the next story.

It may sound a little adventurous when I haven't even got the first book out there yet but by walking in this incredible environment, I couldn't stop getting ideas for a sequel and had to grab my notebook to write something down.    

The photo above is Catherton Common near to the Clee Hill. Catherton is a wild, rugged landscape covered with mysterious bogs and pools that only the dragonflies can negotiate with ease.  

I kept seeing my main character here, perhaps a few years later on from Red Kite. I haven't made my mind up yet how I would do it but it was so exciting, like he had followed me to explore this wilderness for a while, testing the water as to whether he wants to spend time here or not. 

I know I must concentrate on my first novel right now as I am still a long way of getting it published on kindle but it feels great to think I may just have another story growing out there on the Common.     

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to have something to plan for, look forward to, I am longing to write my adult novels but have four sequels to write first!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Carole - four sequels! That would terrify me! Yes, it is great to have something to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of leaving a novel to 'grow' in a special place, whilst you finalise the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon,
      Yes, I think that I planted an idea up there for the future. I feel that I can leave it there to grow slowly until I have the time to nuture it.

      Delete
  3. Really enjoying the blog and the progress of Red Kite: looking forward to reading it one day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, it is taking a long time as I am not very good on the I.T side of things. It does feel great to be doing something with it at last though. xxx

      Delete