Monday 30 April 2012

Finding the right font



I have spent the last month or so editing my novel 'Red Kite.'  I finished my third edit yesterday and although I will be going over it again, I felt like I needed a break, so started looking at the font for the book title that will go on the front cover. 

It's amazing when you start thinking about it as some fonts, as this photo shows, stand out as a possibility and some scream Nooooo!

Every time I have been to a bookshop  just lately, I have focused on the front cover of every book to see how other writers do it. There are so many different styles.  Some of the big authors have their name in a large font with the title smaller,  Some have equal size for both. JK Rowling had something completely different as it was 'Harry Potter' himself that was prominent on all the front covers of her books.

I am enjoying just testing out different fonts and styles at the moment but realise it's so important to get it right and  find one that will work with my front cover.   That means plenty more visits to WH Smiths to stare at the front cover of every book until I find a font that is right for me.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's a problem, isn't it. I have asked Sophie, who drew the cover of Candle Dark, to complete a drawing for River Dark. Now the battle between her ideas and mine begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall keep going through every font until I find one Carole, happy battles with Sophie, you always produce something lovely in the end. xx

      Delete